Sunday, February 3, 2008

Avial a Indian dish making waves

Avial goes with rice and also with Indian bread (Chappati)Avial in its true form
When my wife called me to talk about the posts on my blog she was very much enthusiastic in her voice and she told i have a surprise for you. I was eager, to know what was in this surprise for me and here it is the surprise she gave me. My mother and wife, made sure that the photo's were taken of the dish with the accompliments and sent it to me.
Indian dishes, have a unique flavor with the addition to spices that has come down from generations. This is reflected in every households in India. Festivals that are celebrated in India, has its relation to food. It is common throughout the country to have a unique dish that gets its origin in a perticular state or region. Towards the south of India is a state called Kerala, were my parents are from, they bought with them the regions most famous dish avial, when they decided to settle in Bangalore (another state in south India).
Yield 5 portions
Ingredients:
Carrots jardiniere 2 oz
Drumstick jardiniere 2 oz
French beans jardiniere 2 oz
Turnips jardiniere 2 oz
Potato jardiniere 2 oz
Plantain jardiniere 2 oz
Yam jardiniere 2 oz
Eggplant jardiniere 2 oz
Radish jardiniere 2 oz
Curry leaves whole 1/2 oz
Coconut Oil 4 tsp
Salt to taste
Water 1 Cup
For the Sauce:
Coconut grated 4 oz (1 ea)
Thai bird chili 2 ea
Cumin Seeds 1/2 oz
Coriender Seeds 1/2 oz
Yoghut 1/2 cup
Method:
  • Wash the vegetable thorough and cut them into jardiniere.
  • Add salt, turmeric powder, curryleaves, one thai bird chili to the vegetables (except the plantains, beans and potato steam seperately), steam them in a covered pan with the water.
  • In a blender add the grated coconut, 1 thai bird chili, cumin seeds, coriender seeds and yoghut and whip it up to a fine puree.
  • Remove the half boiled vegetables from the pan and pour the puree and heat it up until it comes to a simmer.
  • Add all the vegetables to the puree in the pan and cook it covered for about 8 minutes.
  • Once cooked add Coconut oil on the top and place it covered until service.

During service the avial can be garnished with fried curry leaves and grated dry coconut (not in photo)

3 comments:

Steppen Wolf said...

I am hungry looking at this...

Sujith said...

Thanks, i enjoyed posting this recipe, bought some old memories.

Anu said...

Avial looks very yummy! Loved the recipes displayed in ur blog :)

I have posted my version of Avial in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. would be happy to receive ur comments :)